Heckler and Koch’s VP9 is a very popular pistol, favored by civilians and members of the police force due to its compact size, big clip, and high accuracy. In order to properly utilize the many benefits this beautiful gun offers, you will need an adequate holster for it.
Today we’re going to talk about the top 10 holsters for Heckler and Koch’s VP9, so without any further ado, let’s see which models hold the most value for the money.
- 1 Best VP9 holster reviews
- 2 Best VP9 OWB holster reviews
- 3 Best VP9 IWB holster reviews
- 4 Best VP9 chest/shoulder holster reviews
- 5 Best VP9 Holsters Buying Guide
- 6 Frequently asked questions
Best VP9 holster reviews
Best VP9 OWB holster reviews
Tru-Fit Tactical OWB Kydex Gun Holster with Quick Clips
- All products used in the production of our holsters are 100% made proudly in the USA
- Built to last, very durable design and set retention offers a hold that will not loosen or change over time
- Smooth finish on the inside of the Kydex will Help prevent rubbing or marking your firearm
- Hand molded to a specific firearm model to provide that Tru-Fit feel
- One Year Manufacturer Replacement Warranty
Our first pick is Tru-Fit Tactical LLC’s OWB holster for the VP9 handgun. It was specifically designed to cater to modified VP9s, as it features extra space for sight modifications and under-barrel attachments.
It was hand-molded and built to be a little more comfortable to use in comparison to most Kydex-made gun holsters. Speaking of which, it’s made from 0.08-inch Kydex and is built like a rock. Although it doesn’t sport any kind of thumb break or sweat guard, it does have a very smooth finish, which prevents the firearm from rubbing and getting damaged.
- Smooth finish provides additional protection from rubbing and external damage
- Hand-molded for additional comfort
- Designed to fit modified VP9s
- Slightly inferior retention in comparison to similarly priced models
GunfightersINC Ronin OWB Holster for Heckler and Koch VP9
- Designed for everday carry and range usage.
- 10 degree forward cant aids concealment and reduces printing.
- Handformed Kydex
- High cut for excellent retention.
- Handcrafted in USA and shipped direct from Manufacturer.
Our runner up in the OWB category is GunfightersINC’ Ronin Heckler and Koch’s VP9 holster. Its cant is fixed at 10-degrees forward, which highly improves concealment while reducing the printing effect.
It’s made from hand-molded Kydex and rocks a high cut, which offers better retention and gun security. In a nutshell, this particular holster model is simple to use, it comes outfitted with plain, straightforward features and is highly dependable.
- Hand-molded from premium-quality Kydex material
- Easy to carry, easy to use
- High-cut design offers superior retention
- The fixed cant angle might be a nuisance to some people
Azula Gun Holsters H&K Heckler & Koch VP9 Molded Pancake Belt Holster
Here we have Azula Gun Holster’s H&K VP9 holster; it’s a pancake holster suitable for most Heckler and Koch handguns including, of course, VP9 and VP40.
It sports a leather pancake design with an open top for easier drawing and is one of the simplest holsters for this beautiful pistol. Azula Gun Holster’s VP9 model offers you a tight, comfortable fit, promising great retention despite its lack of thumb break.
- Tight fit, comfortable to use
- Made from quality leather
- Pancake design
- Suitable for most Heckler and Koch handguns
- Doesn’t feature a thumb break
Holstermart USA Tagua OWB Holster
- Fast Right-Hand Vertical Draw Belt Holster
- Genuine Cowhide Leather Construction Built to Last
- Minimalist Design Provides for a Comfortable Every Day Carry
- Makes a Great Appendix Carry Holster for Small/Medium Guns
Let’s wrap up our OWB section for the best VP9 holsters with Holstermart’s Tagua model. Essentially, this is a very straightforward, minimalistic holster made from cowhide leather that’s as efficient as it is easy to use.
It packs a convenient, very inconspicuous pancake design with an open top for easier drawing, and though it doesn’t pack a thumb break the level of retention it offers is simply staggering. We highly recommend it to drivers who want a comfortable holster that will allow them to rapidly draw and acquire targets.
- Convenient and simplistic pancake design
- Made from cowhide leather
- Decent retention
- No thumb break, slightly inferior gun security
Best VP9 IWB holster reviews
R&R Holsters IWB Kydex Holster
- .080 Kydex (IWB) Inside the Waistband
- Fits the above gun models with Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-1S, or TLR-1HL light attached.
- This holster requires the Streamlight TLR-1 to be attached to the gun to function properly.
- Made in USA
- One Year Replacement Warranty
R&R Holsters is a popular holster-making brand, and here we’re looking at the model designed to fit modified VP9 handguns.
It’s absolutely beautiful, even though it’s perfect for concealed carry due to the fact that it sports a matte black finish. The R&R Holsters IWB VP9 holster is made from 0.08-inch Kydex and sports premium, reliable hardware, and a steel belt clip for extra adjustability.
- Can fit both non-modified and modified VP9 pistols
- Made from 0.08-inch Kydex
- Steel belt clip for enhanced adjustability
- Pretty comfortable to use (loose fit)
- Slightly lower retention due to the lack of a thumb break feature
Concealment Express Tuckable IWB Kydex Holster
- TUCKABLE INSIDE THE WAISTBAND KYDEX HOLSTER fits: H&K VP9 (ONLY unless Specified). Our minimalist Tuckable IWB holsters are designed to be worn comfortably inside the waistband with either a tucked or untucked shirt for proper concealed carry. We use .08” KYDEX precision formed over our proprietary in house CAD designed & crafted Aluminum molds. This ensures unparalleled consistency, fit, quality, durability, lightness, comfort, & uniform features across all our holsters.
- EXCLUSIVE HOLSTER FEATURES: Undercut Trigger Guard keeps the KYDEX from interfering with your draw. Over-Cut Open-Face accommodates Threaded Barrels and clears Suppressor Height Sights. Full Length Sweat Guard & Rear Sight Shield to protect your weapon from sweat. Fiber Reinforced Stealth Belt Clip, so no one knows you are carrying. We utilize all Black Oxide Steel (Phillips) hardware with Threadlock, so you can easily make adjustments but never lose a screw.
- ADJUSTABLE ‘POSI-CLICK’ RETENTION, RIDE HEIGHT, & CANT: When you holster your H&K VP9, you'll hear a satisfying ‘CLICK’ letting you know your weapon is securely holstered & won’t come out unless YOU want it to. Retention pressure is adjustable, as is ride height (Standard, Shallow & Deep Conceal). Cant (Carry Angle) is adjustable from -30 to +30 Degrees, allowing you to angle the holster perfectly for appendix (AIWB), strong side, behind the hip or cross draw carry positions.
- OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES - CLAW COMPATIBLE: Our H&K VP9 Tuckable IWB Holster is now Claw Compatible. Our optional Claw Kit cleverly eliminates printing forever by utilizing your belt to angle the butt of your weapon in towards your body. This effectively makes your weapon disappear inside your belt line. Our Tuckable holsters are also compatible with the Ulticlip3 and/or Ulticlip XL, plus our Low Profile and PTD Soft Belt Loop Kits, making these the most versatile IWB Holsters available.
- 100% MADE IN USA - GUARANTEED FOR LIFE: Our holsters are designed and built from start to finish in the USA by Americans on All US made Machinery & Equipment for a level of quality that is unparalleled. Our Quality & Durability is engineered into each holster from the start. Because of this, we guarantee that your holster will last you forever no matter what.
Concealment Express is a brand that specializes in manufacturing inconspicuous holsters for concealed carry, and we’ve picked their tuckable IWB Kydex holster as one of the best VP9 holster models you can find in 2020.
Its minimalistic design characterized by but a handful of straightforward features that makes it very easy to use. It sports the patented Posi-click retention system that allows you to modify the ride height and cant at a whim. Last, but not least, it’s Claw-compatible and features just about enough space to accommodate various VP9 accessories.
- Reliable Black-Oxide hardware
- Sweat guard packed with a rear-sight shield
- Over-cut open-top design
- Adjustable Posi-Click system
- Slightly heavier than average
Fobus VPQ Paddle Black Concealed Carry Holster
- Gun Fit H&K VP9, USP Full Size (not Expert), P8
- Holster Material - mold injected Polymer formula
- Passive retention with adjustment screw
- Fobus passive retention system acts like a spring on the trigger guard area and holds the gun firmly in place
- Lifetime Warranty
The Fobus’ VPQ Paddle VP9 holster is easily one of the best budget holsters for this particular handgun. It’s made from a molded injected Polymer material and is substantially lighter than average.
On top of that, it sports Fobus’ patented passive-retention system which offers unparalleled gun retention and security. Moreover, you’ll also receive a double magazine carry pouch that can be attached to the holster if you need to carry some spare ammo.
- Lightweight and flexible
- Passive retention technology
- Made from molded injected Polymer
- Flimsier than average
COMP-TAC.COM International Holster H&K VP9
- OWB HOLSTER – The International is an outside the waistband (OWB) holster with a modular mounting design giving the user 16 holster options in 1. This holster is perfect for competition shooting, concealed carry or general use.
- MOUNTING OPTIONS – To give you the flexibility needed for any application, three mounting options are included Belt Mount, Paddle Mount, Drop Offset Piece.
- SECURE – Built-in retention adjustment allows the user to tighten or loosen the holster’s hold on your firearm, keeping it secure while in motion.
- EXTREMELY DURABLE - The International’s all-Kydex body provides a rigid material that is custom fit to each firearm and maintains its shape even with the pistol un-holstered.
- COMPATIBILITY - Our International Holster is cut down in the front to fit most Optic Sight and has a .5" tall sight rail to fit most suppressor/optic co-witnessing sights.
Here we’re looking at COMP-TAC.Com’s VP9 holster. This particular model is largely different from our previous pick, mainly in terms of mounting options it offers – you’ll be free to choose between paddle mount, drop offset mount, and belt mounting options, although it’s ideally carried inside the waistband.
It’s made from quality Kydex and is compatible with most modified VP9 handguns supplied with optic sights, as it sports a 0.5-inch rail sight extension for handgun attachments. Furthermore, it sports integrated retention adjustments that make the gun locked in tight.
- Integrated retention system
- Compatible with modified VP9 handguns
- Built to last
- Potential problems with certain hardware pieces
Best VP9 chest/shoulder holster reviews
M1SURPLUS Stealth Grey Color Adjustable Ambidextrous Shoulder Holster
- M1Surplus Presents a fully adjustable Ambidextrous Horizontal Shoulder Holster with Double Mag pouch
- Holster and Mag Pouch can be oriented for Right or Left Handed
- Adjustable for length to provide a custom fit to your body
- Fits most medium and some compact size pistols / Does Not fit revolvers / Does Not fit any "sub-compact" or "micro size" pistols
- This item Cannot be Exported Outside the USA
We have included two shoulder holsters from the M1Suprlus brand; this is the first model, and it’s designed for casual everyday use as it is smaller and lighter.
It was designed to fit most small-caliber handguns, including a variety of models from HK, such as VP9, VP40, P2000, and P30. Some of the main benefits it provides include adjustable length an easy-to-use thumb break, and airy nylon construction.
- Adjustable straps and Velcro adjustments
- Supplied with two extra magazine pouches
- Ambidextrous design
- Can’t fit modified VP9 handguns
- Inferior durability; requires regular maintenance
M1Suprlus Tan Molle Compatible Holster
- This Item Includes a FREE Tactical MOLLE Compatible Magazine Pouch !!!!!
- Innovative Ambidextrous Modular MOLLE Holster that is fully configurable for Full Size and Compact semi autos without or with tactical flashlights/lasers
- With a Grid of Eyelets, this holster can be configured to fit various sizes and shapes of pistols. It can also be custom configured to fit around Tactical Flashlights/Lasers mounted onto the frame of the Pistol
- With the use of the supplied tube spacers and bungee cords, the holster can be custom fitted to most Pistol without or with tactical flashlights and/or lasers
- Included are three different types of retention features that can be used to keep the pistol secured to the holster: adjustable Thumb-Snap, Grip Retention Bungee Cord with pull tab, and 1
The second M1Surplus VP9 shoulder holster in our review is better suited for police and military personnel. The range of handguns it supports is extended and is not limited to HK’s pistols exclusively – it includes Smith and Wesson’s MP40 and MP9, as well as Beretta’s 92, 96, PX4, and PX9.
Furthermore, it’s Molle-compatible and best used as a piece of a tactical rig. It’s made from nylon, just like our previous pick, but it offers more durability and requires less maintenance. The main features of this VP9 shoulder holster include an adjustable thumb snap-break, premium-quality grip-retention, and a bungee cord packed with a pull tab.
- Molle-compliant specs
- Thumb-snap break
- Superior gun retention and security
- Highly adjustable
- Slightly heavier than average
Best VP9 Holsters Buying Guide
Before deciding which VP9 holster model is actually the best, let us take a look at the things we took into consideration before evaluating each model in this review:
The VP9 handgun is almost perfect, and it doesn’t need much extra utility as far as holsters are concerned. Its compact size nullifies poor retention; the sheer fact that it’s almost weightless means that it will sit tight in almost any holster, so what kind of features should you look for in a VP9 holster?
First of all, a thumb break is always a big plus. You don’t actually need to use this feature if you don’t want to, but it goes a long way when you want to be absolutely certain that your gun is locked tight. Since VP9 already features a good grip, a sweat guard is a perfect feature that complements it.
You don’t need extra ammo pouches as VP9 packs 15 bullets per clip, but if you expect some action, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
VP9’s compact size allows you to carry it in any possible position. It won’t feel uncomfortable while worn in the IWB position; you will be able to quickly access it when you’re carrying it in the OWB position, and its small size makes it suitable for drop-leg holsters.
Chest and shoulder holsters work pretty fine with it too, especially since it’s much easier to conceal in comparison to medium-sized and larger handguns.
Modified or non-modified VP9
Take extra care when searching for a VP9 holster if you’ve added any modifications to it. Most holsters are designed to fit non-modified pistols, so you should search for specific models that can accommodate under-barrel or over-barrel attachments and accessories (or both).
Alternatively, you can look up the brands that mold and design holsters per customer’s specifications. Certain brands custom brands will add extra space for your pistol’s accessories and even add more features. These typically cost a bit more.
Frequently asked questions
What are HK VP9’s Specs?
Basically, HK VP9 uses 9x19mm ammo; its length is 7.34 inches, its height is 5.41 inches, and its width is 1.32 inches, which means that it’s pretty small in size. It’s almost weightless, weighing only 25.56 ounces (with an empty magazine), and it comes with a black frame and black oxide slide.
What’s really important in regard to VP9 holster is that the barrel of this pistol is 4.09 inches long. This means that smaller holsters are ideal, especially IWB holsters.
What type of holster is best for VP9 Pistol? What are the different benefits?
HK’s VP9 handgun can be used with any type of holster, although each holster type brings a different set of benefits to the table. Generally speaking, IWB holsters are best for this particular pistol because of its small size. VP9 is excellent for concealed carry, and IWB holsters are the best for a stealthy approach to carrying this type of gun.
Over the waistband holsters are also great; they don’t conceal the weapon as much, but they do allow you to draw your VP9 out faster in turn. Chest and shoulder holsters might be a bit of overkill as they work best with medium-size and larger models, but they’re just as efficient as OWB and IWB holsters.
Lastly, drop-leg holsters are awesome for VP9 as they will be able to hide this gun almost completely. Although their retention and gun security are pretty great, these holsters aren’t so easy to draw from.
Are leather holsters good for VP9?
In a nutshell, VP9 is ideally tucked inside a pancake holster (OWB or IWB). Since a good portion of pancake holsters are made of leather, the simple answer would be ‘yes, leather holsters are good for VP9’.
How important is retention for VP9’s holster?
Since VP9 is a small and lightweight handgun by design, you shouldn’t worry too much about the retention factor. It’s highly unlikely that it will be able to slip out of your holster unless you’ve adjusted the cant angle improperly and are sprinting downhill.
Do I need a magazine pouch in my VP9 holster?
VP9 can fit 15 9mm bullets inside a magazine, which should be more than enough for any situation. Unless you’re a member of the police force or in military service, you don’t really need all that extra ammo.